Paediatric rehabilitation is concerned with the examination, evaluation, diagnosis, prognosis, and intervention of children, from birth to adolescence, who are experiencing functional limitations or disability due to trauma, a disorder or disease process.
Paediatric physical therapists working in the Dr L H Hiranandani Hospital mainly look at outpatient clinics, neonatal intensive care units (NICUs) to evaluate and treat high risk or premature infants. These therapists are specially trained in for the same.
Commonly Treated conditions include cerebral palsy, genetic syndromes, autism, Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), obstetric brachial palsy lesions, torticollis, CTEV (congenital talipes equinovarus), CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia), Post surgical and post Botox conditions. We study the system impairments leading to functional limitations and participation restrictions in areas of home school and play. The goal of treatment is to diminish impairments and functional limitations to prevent or decrease disability. Treatment may be focused on improving developmental tasks, motor planning, manipulation skills, balance, and/or coordination. The affected child may present with difficulties with ambulation, positioning, communication, attention, cognition, and/or motor function.
Treatment procedures are individually tailored plans with a combination of :
- Neuro-developmental therapy for postural and movement limitations. Neuro-Developmental Treatment (NDT) is an advanced therapeutic approach practiced by experienced Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists, and Speech - Language Pathologists. This hands-on approach is used in working with people who have central nervous system insults that create difficulties in controlling movement.
- Sensory integration to look at sensory repertoire of a child and determine the impairments and administer sensory integration (SI) which are integrated into the functional activities of daily living
The services provided at our dept include :
- Sensory Integration therapy and Play therapy- deals with children showing sensory integration dysfunction and include problems related to sense of touch, smell, hearing, taste and/or sight. This also includes Children with difficulties in movement, coordination and sensing where one's body is in a given space. SI therapy is used in treatments of common disorders like Autism Spectrum diseases, Developmental co-ordination disorder, Sensory Processing disorders etc to name a few.
- Neurodevelopmental Therapy –deals with children showing atypical posture and movement strategies to perform their functions resulting from CNS insults and dysfunction (e.g. Cerebral Palsy, Stroke, Head injury). NDT-trained therapists work collaboratively with individuals, family, caregivers and physicians to develop comprehensive treatment programs based on the principles of human neurology and physiology.
- Early Intervention Therapy - is a system of coordinated services that promotes the child's growth and development and supports families during the critical early years. This approach aims at aiding infants who are NICU graduates and are at a high risk of significant developmental delays or other disabilities. This therapy comprises of early sensory and motor activities through play therapy which comprises of tactile, visual, auditory and orosensory stimulation.
- Visual Rehabilitation – our team plays an integral part in identifying Visual impairments in children with special needs ranging from Squints, refractive errors, congenital cataract, Lazy eye, strabismus etc. This therapy improves your Visual Information Process Skills by training visual components of Perception, Tracking, Focusing, and Eye Teaming. Throng with a referral to the ophthalmologist.
- Orthotics and Prosthetics – Musculoskeletal impairments, joint weakness or the inability of any joint or muscle group to function correctly can greatly decrease a Childs quality of life and mobility. We therefore conduct detailed evaluations to assess the child for the need of an orthosis (an apparatus used to support, align, prevent or correct deformities) and prescribe a tailor made orthosis to aid him/her in achieving improved function and mobility.
- Body-weight–supported treadmill training (BWSTT) - This specialized equipment helps children to improve their strength, endurance, gait pattern and enables the child to become independent. The body weight of the child is unloaded by overhead harness and therapist's assistance. It works on the principle of neuroplasticity. We request you to make optimal use of this facility.
- Home Care Sessions – we provide home care session in the form of Home therapy visits by our therapists for children who are unable to follow up regular therapy at our hospital owing to various constraints and problems.
- Video and Written Home Program- to cater to the requirements of our Outstation and International patients we offer a written or a video CD of a tailor made therapy program for them to be followed up back home in the home environment, so that the child does not miss out on therapy and can come back for follow up after a certain time interval.
Special Clinics or Patient support group :
The H.O.P.E Clinic -
High Risk OPD for Paediatric Evaluation is a clinic developed to enable the Physiotherapist and the Paediatrician to work as a team towards early detection and intervention of High Risk NICU babies. This clinic also offers Auditory and Visual systems screening tests for early detection and treatment of related problems.