Endocrinology is the science of endocrine glands (pituitary, thyroid, adrenal, pancreas, gonads, parathyroid gland, and adipose tissue) and their secretions called as hormones. Hormones largely attribute to a person’s
- Appearance (stature, complexion, body habitus, weight)
- Appetite and eating behavior
- Bowel and bladder control
- Sleep pattern
- Sexual behavior and reproduction
- Bone and muscle health
Deficiency, excess or resistance to hormones lead to varied manifestations affecting these personality traits.
The department have qualified and experienced endocrinologist who provides outpatient services for endocrine disorders.
The common endocrine disorders are :
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Thyroid dysfunction and tumors
- Hirsutism and Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Prolactinoma and other pituitary tumors
- Hypertension secondary to endocrine causes due to functional adrenal tumors.
- Lipid disorders
- Vitamin D deficiency
Pathology laboratory is equipped with Vitros ECiQ chemiluminescence technology for hormone assay provides the backbone to endocrine services of the hospital.
Pituitary tumors are managed by the team of endocrinologist, neurologist, radiologist, neurosurgeon, pathologist and radiation oncologist. Thyroid tumors are managed by team of ENT surgeon, Endocrinologist, Oncologist, Oncology surgeon, and Pathologist. Adrenal tumors are managed by team of Urologist, Endocrinologist, and Pathologist.
Pregnancy and Endocrine disorders
Pregnancy related endocrine related concerns like thyroid dysfunction, gestational diabetes and calcium and Vitamin D deficiency are prospectively monitored and managed in collaboration of the senior Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.